We’ve got a favor to ask. Right now, think of which of your friends or coworkers has the most beautiful smile. Now imagine them smiling. What makes their grin so attractive? We’ve got a guess that it’s because their teeth are…
- Straight, but not long
- White, but not glowing
- Big, but not too big
Want that smile? Most people weren’t born with teeth that look perfect. That’s where your cosmetic dentist in Jacksonville comes into play.
Porcelain veneers offer a minimally-invasive route to a more attractive smile. Keep reading to learn more about how you can transform your grin right in time for the upcoming holiday season!
What Do Veneers Fix?
Because they work by covering up the front surface of the teeth that show when you smile, porcelain veneers can “correct” virtually any cosmetic issue that affects healthy teeth.
That includes teeth which are…
- Misshapen (like pointy or too short)
- Oddly textured
- Slightly gapped
Veneers do a great job of covering up slight gaps between teeth and even improving the look of bites that are a little off-center. For their help correcting these minor orthodontic issues, veneers can be thought of as something similar to instant orthodontics.
Yes, veneers can fix pretty much anything that’s not right with a healthy tooth. Your dentist will schedule a consultation to determine your candidacy for veneers, first. Spots of decay or areas of gum disease should be treated before veneers can be considered.
How Are Veneers Applied?
The process for veneers takes at least two visits to your dentist’s office and is usually finished in a few weeks.
- First appointment: Reserved for preparing the teeth for veneers. Your dentist removes a thin sliver of tooth enamel from each tooth that will receive a veneer to make sure it can lie flat in the smile. Molds and impressions are taken of the prepared teeth. Temporary veneers cover the tooth enamel in the meantime.
- Time between appointments: Your veneers are crafted according to your treatment plan in a separate dental lab.
- Second appointment: The veneers are ready for placement. Your dentist removes the temporaries and places the permanent ones after ensuring the look, fit, and feel like they should.
- You enjoy your new, improved smile!
How Long Do Veneers Last?
With proper care and maintenance, veneers can be expected to last over a decade. You can brush and floss them just like you do your natural teeth. Use a fluoride toothpaste to keep your surrounding tooth enamel strong and healthy.
If you play sports or grind your teeth at night, your dentist will probably recommend you invest in a custom-fitted mouthguard to protect the delicate porcelain.
Continue to visit your dentist’s office for routine checkups and cleanings every six months. If you notice a veneer becoming loose, uncomfortable, or if one breaks, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with your dentist right away.
Where to Turn For Porcelain Veneers
People from around the nation visit Eccella Smiles’ office for porcelain veneers in Jacksonville. Dr. Scott Wagner and Dr. Brian Young provide unparalleled cosmetic services for patients with a variety of needs. To learn more about veneers or cosmetic dentistry in general, we invite you to call us at (904) 834-3737.