Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease or gingivitis, occurs when the bacteria on your teeth build up and lead to a breakdown of gum tissue. This can cause bleeding gums and an increased risk for tooth loss or other more serious health issues. Regular checkups at a Jacksonville dental office can help identify gum disease early and give you a chance at rectifying the issue before too much damage is done.
Signs and Symptoms of Gum Disease
To know if you have gum disease, it is important to be aware of the symptoms. Some common signs include:
- Receding, soreness, and tenderness of the gums
- pain when chewing or biting food
- swollen gums which may bleed easily
- bad breath or metallic taste in your mouth
- Increased spaces between your teeth
Adopting healthy oral habits like regular dental checkups, brushing and flossing, using fluoride toothpaste and an antiseptic mouthwash are some of the ways to offer relief from gum disease and promote healthy teeth and gums.
Causes of Gum Diseases
The causes of gum diseases are many. They include bacteria, plaque or tartar build-up on teeth, periodontal infection, dry mouth, autoimmune disease, smoking and chewing tobacco, hormonal imbalance in women, nutritional deficiency, prescription medication, genetics, and poor oral hygiene, among others.
The good news is, gum disease can be cured by treating it early before complications happen. There are many different types of treatments available, ranging in cost and complexity. The severity of the condition will determine which type of treatment you need. You may also need to see a dentist or periodontist for more complex diagnoses and treatments.
Health Risks That Can Be Caused By Gum Disease
According to a recent CDC report, it is estimated that 47.2% of adults aged 30 and above have some form of periodontal disease. Gum disease is not only a risk to your gums and teeth but also to other parts of your body as well. Gum disease increases the risk of getting other health complications, including diabetes, heart diseases, or stroke due to the presence of high levels of bacteria in your mouth.
Although more research is needed, studies have connected the inflammation and bacteria in periodontitis to more health concerns like respiratory infections and Alzheimer’s disease.
Effective Tips To Follow For Healthy Teeth and Gums
Prevention is the best cure for this type of condition and it starts with a healthy lifestyle.
- Brush twice a day using a recommended toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss once a day to remove the bacteria and food particles from in between your teeth.
- Drink water regularly.
- See your dentist for a routine check-up
- Practice proper oral hygiene habits like eating fresh fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin c, healthy snacks that promote strong oral health such as apples with cheese, avoiding sugary drinks that increase the risk of infection for people with diabetes or other illnesses where there is an increased chance of gum disease.
Achieve your dream smile. For more information on a professional dental care plan, please contact https://www.eccellasmiles.com/
Jacksonville Beach Florida 32250
Find us on Social Media